- The Right Hook (when a car passes you and makes a right turn directly in front of/into you, when waiting for about .75 seconds for you to pass the intersection would have been safer)
- Getting a faceful of hot cigarette ash from a driver who can't be bothered to use their ashtray
- Traffic lights that won't change for something as small as a bicycle. The worst are the ones where the "Don't Walk" sign starts to flash on the street you want to cross, and you think the light will change in a couple seconds, but then the pedestrian light goes back to "Walk."
- Drivers who scream obscenities at you as they pass for no good reason
- Drivers who throw stuff at you
- Cyclists who ride on the sidewalk and nearly hit you at cross streets
- Cyclists who ride the wrong way on busy roads
- Cyclists who blow through red lights/stop signs and almost hit you
- Bike Ninjas
- Your main route being resurfaced in chip-seal
- Dogs on those retractable leashes
- F***ing Canada Geese
- Drivers who will run you off the road so they can stop you and ask you for directions
- NJ Transit's ever-changing bike-on-train policies
- Helmet hair
- Wearing out the seats of your pants
- Muddy streaks up the back of your pants and shirt front hitting a wet spot with no fenders
- People who refer to you as a "Lance Armstrong Wannabee"
- Racing snobs
- Having to change a flat in your nice clothes
Friday, March 15, 2013
Opinionated Blogger Friday: Things That Make You Go, "#@*%!"
Bicycle commuting is wonderful, and on a beautiful spring day, when everyone in a car is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, you know you've made the best decision ever. But every now and then, biking opens you up to some very particular indignities, like: