Practical Advice for Transportation Cycling

Sometimes, all that matters is getting from Point A to Point B as cheaply, safely and efficiently as possible. You don't need a fast bike, you don't need a pretty bike, and most of all you don't need an expensive bike, you just need one that works.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Time to Launch

Sometimes, at the bike shop, we get a person who fired up by the urge to get in shape or high gas prices, decides to buy a bike and start riding to work. Sometimes they follow through with it, but sometimes they get the bike, get it home and tell themselves "I'll start as soon as the weather gets a bit nicer."
A lot of the time, this means that shiny new bike sits in the basement or garage and never gets ridden anywhere. But maybe sometimes it sits for a year or two, until all of the the sudden, the owner says, "yeah, it's time" and starts putting in the miles. Maybe it took a while to get motivated, maybe the situation wasn't right, but whatever it was, they just weren't ready, and now they are.

This blog has been a bit like that. I snagged the title some time ago with the intention of sharing common-sense advice, tips and ideas with would-be transportation cyclists, particularly those for who don't have a lot of extra cash to experiment with their transportation arrangements. But I put it aside because things were pretty crazy for me, and writing took a back seat to just making a living.

Well, I've got a bit more time and am, if not more organized, a bit more motivated these days, and it's time to start pedaling.

I've got a notebook full of ideas, including info on choosing a bike how to carry stuff and ideas for dealing with weather, enough for several months of regular posts. The goal will be to post once a weekday.

Wish me luck!

-Broke Bicyclist

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My dad bikes to work in New Brunswick from Middlesex in the nice weather, and it's inspired me to do the same when I can find the motivation (and my commute is only a mile, haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motivation is always a challenge, but I've gotten to the point of hating driving so much I'll bike in crazy weather just so I don't have to deal with parking.
      This may not be entirely sane, but I can use the exercise.

      Delete